Friday, October 15, 2010

It is 6 pm...do you know where your dog is?

I do.  She's outside, incessantly barking at the kids next door.  They are jumping on a trampoline, and I can appreciate how a dog might be put off by that activity.  At least these kids do not tease my dog like my old neighbors.  Those boys were so bad.  Many times I had to tell them to get off of the fence, stop beating on the fence, stop poking sticks through the fence, etc.  I used to get a kick out of fussing at them when they did not know I was outside, and I would peek over the fence and scare them, then say, "If you do that again, I am going to knock on your door and talk to your daddy.  I know he's home, I saw his truck in the driveway!"  They didn't like that at all.  Usually that would stop their bad behavior.

Right now, my husband is tending to our nephew, who is like seven or something.  Anyway, my husband just came in here where I am and told me we are never having kids, never ever.  Fine by me!

So today I worked.  I don't think I mentioned it in my first blog post, but I am a veterinary technician and I've done that for going on eleven years now.  Honestly, I do not enjoy it.  The majority of my patients are badly behaved and have owners that think they know everything already, or straight don't give a crap.  It is endlessly frustrating and I often wonder what the point of it all is.  However, I do have a handful of patients that are great pets and some owners like to learn new things and do give a crap about their pets.  When they all show up on the same day, its pretty awesome, but that rarely happens.  Today wasn't awful.  I met a lady with two puppies that she is working with and they are very well behaved.  They will probably grow into excellent pets, and she intends to do pet therapy work with them.  I was really impressed with her, and I told her so.  I can't wait to see her and her dogs again.  On a side note:  I am generally terrified of birds.  Thankfully, the practice I work at does not see birds.  Today, however, someone brought in a very sick duck from a local park and it had to be put down.  My boss needed me to "hold" the duck while he did this, so I got a towel and tossed it over the duck while he did the injection, and the whole time I was saying, "It's going to quack at me and I'm going to pee myself...it's going to quack at me and I'm going to pee myself!"  It did not quack at me, so I didn't pee myself, but my boss thought this was pretty hilarious all the same.

One thing I do like about my job is the occasional "medical mystery."  It is lots of fun to crack open a book and sit down with lab results to look for answers.  Unfortunately, if you do have to do this, it is likely that the answer you find won't be good, though.  It is always hard to give people bad news.

So, that's it for today's blog.  Have a great weekend!  I will enjoy Saturday, but Sunday I will have to go take care of dogs.  Dogs that are hanging out in the kennel while their people are off doing something fun probably.  Fun things that I can't do...because I have to go take care of their dogs!!!  It's a vicious cycle.

Oh, one more thing...since I am not very familiar with this blog site, I want to experiment with putting pictures or videos in my posts.  So below this, there may be a picture, or a link to a picture, or maybe just some hieroglyphics or something.  I don't know yet, that's why this is an experiment.

Lookout!  It's a LOLCAT!


That was easier than I thought it would be, which is always nice.

2 comments:

  1. Carly - this is hilarious. I look forward to many more of your blog posts!! I'm with your dog -- I also hate trampolines.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carly, I am glad you do not have the neighbors that would tease your dogs any longer. I unfortunately have neighbors that taunt my dogs and I hate it. I do not always know what to do. They let their pet out at the same time as mine and when mine bark at the fence they poke them with something. Anyway I like your post and hope that I get better at writing on mine.

    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete