Friday, November 11, 2011

I just quit my job.

I must be crazy, right?  Jobless people are protesting in the streets, and those that aren't are still desperately trying to find work, all while those that are working lose benefits, have their retirement stolen, or are otherwise generally mistreated.  But me?  I'm leaving a passive-aggressive note with a key taped to it on a desk at job I've been at for 5 years because I won't be yelled at.  By anyone.  Ever.  I should note that this is my 3rd attempt at quitting this job, and the 3rd time's the charm they say. 

This was inevitable to me, and I'll tell you why.  On my very first day, the employee responsible for my training tried to perform some kind of whack blackmail on me by instructing me to do something incorrectly, and then leaving me to get busted by the boss later.  This didn't work because what she told me to do, I had seen her not do earlier, so I didn't do it either.  Also because I'm not stupid, like her.  After that first day, I never wanted to go back.  When I think about how that was coming up on 5 years ago, it's almost too much to handle.

Fast forward through an overwhelming amount of bull crap including a couple of near-physical confrontations between other employees and a personal issue (they finally wore me down and made me crazy) with myself which resulted in me being on antidepressants again, we arrive at present.  Present was pretty good until today.  I think what happened can best be described as misdirected anger.  In this particular case, it involves a person being extremely angry about many things, but being agitated by one specific person, whom they fear, and thus will not confront.  This is where I come in.  As I said earlier, I will not be yelled at by anyone, ever.  I mean, I know I can't stop people from yelling at me, but I guess what I mean is I won't tolerate it.  It is no way to communicate (except from a distance, maybe?) especially in a workplace.  But this was no professional workplace.  Hell, it doesn't even try to be.

So there it is, what I did and why I did it.  I don't know what it means for me, and as someone who is not typically an optimist, I'm trying to be positive.  I'm about to graduate with a new skill, and I've got someone that wants to help me find a job in that field.  I have options.  And if worse comes to worse, I have a tent, so I'll never be homeless. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment